Saturday, May 22, 2010

We've chosen a name!!!

About a month ago, a name popped into my head. I didn't really know where it came from or why. Bryan and I had picked a name about 3 months ago but decided that we would like to pick something a little more meaningful than our first choice. We felt like this little girl needed a name that really represented who she is and what she is doing in our lives.
I was talking with a friend that has become very close to me recently and she mentioned something that I had never thought about until she mentioned it. Our little girl has been diagnosed with Potter's Syndrome. In the bible, God has been compared to a Potter and we are the Clay.

Isaiah 64:8 (New International Version)
8 Yet, O LORD, you are our Father.
We are the clay, you are the potter;
we are all the work of your hand.

Wow, How amazing!!! We must not only submit to the ways of the Lord, but also to His prescribed means. The Lord says He wants us to be as clay in His hands. Think how a potter will take the clay in his hands, work it, roll it, and shape it according to any design he wants. So, I am trusting that the ironic name of her syndrome indeed is related to HIS works. He, as the Potter, is molding us into exactly what he wants and using us as the clay to spread HIS word.
The name that popped into my head was Eden Grace. I decided to look up the meaning of each name immediately.

Eden means the following:
  1. A delightful place; a paradise.
  2. A state of innocence, bliss, or ultimate happiness
Grace means:

1. Blessing
2. Good will
3. Favor, Thanks

Another interesting thing from my past is the church that I was raised in from the time I can remember. I was saved and baptized at this small church in Longview. The preacher of the church lived next door to us and our families were very close for many years. The pastor had a passion for this church and the people of our community that I didn't understand at the time. The name of the church started out as Eden Drive Baptist Church. They kept that name for a few years and then decided after much thought to rename the church to Grace Church.
It's interesting to me that my Potter has brought me back to a place that is much like the beginning of my life. The beginning of the world as we know it was also in Genesis and the Garden of Eden. I am now doing what my family was committed to doing in a similar community. My Potter has put me and my baby Eden at a small church in a small community. I have been blessed with feeling as though I am in a time of pleasure. Our number one focus should be HIM. That will give us pleasure.

I had asked my mom what she thought of the name Eden Grace and how it related to what we are living now. She said, "So I guess I see all of this as more of a current thing....Baby Girl will always be in a state of innocence. Going from her safe momma cave straight to paradise, and if she's really lucky, into a delightful "Jackie hug." : ) Never experiencing this fallen place. It's her own story." (Jackie Burnett was an amazing lady that I grew up with at Eden Drive, Grace church and then at Fellowship Bible Church. I don't remember a time that I didn't know her. She was someone that you always felt like you were safe and happy with. She didn't let you out of her presence without giving her a BIG hug. I was very lucky to know her and George. Jackie passed away last year and has been greatly missed by so many people. But, she will be there to give Eden Grace a big hug and I have much comfort knowing that.)



14 comments:

  1. Wow. You guys are amazingly strong. Eden Grace is a perfect name. The Lord has truly blessed you with the peace of mind that I've been praying for you to have. Xoxo -Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I told you the other day, little Eden Grace is so blessed to have you as her mommy. May this peace continue with you in this journey. Love ya girl.
    Shanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are definately one of the best mommies i will ever know, your baby girl is very lucky!!!! I love you! And i cant ever read your blog without crying, but im workin on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, that is a BEAUTIFUL name!! And extremely special and meaningful. You have my approval. ;) Your strength inspires me all the time. I know that your answer to that would be that it's strength being given to you by God and I would agree with that and just say, What a mighty God we serve!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing. Your Grandma sent us the blog URL. We will pray for you and your family. Little Eden Grace is truly blessed to have you in her sweet life. May the peace of God continue to guide you through this time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the name you have choosen! May God continue to work in your life and grant you peace and courage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie and Bryan, you are so thoughtful in all of this with your eyes wide open to the work of God's hands! The name Eden Grace glorifies Him, which is what He requires of us. It is perfect! Carrie, I am truly inspired by your strength and deep love for our Amazing God!!
    Love you friend. Flea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eden Grace is a beautiful name! Carrie as I have already told you, you are such a strong and inspirational woman and God could not gave chosen a more perfect lady to be Eden's mommy. I hope that as Ella Kate grows I can share your's, brian's, and Eden's story with her to show the many ways that god works on peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Eden!! What a perfect name!

    I totally AMEN the Jackie hug comment. She will be a great surrogate mommy until you see her again. I can't think of anyone better to love Eden!!

    You guys are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW BEAUTIFUL. I LOVE THE NAME AND AM SO AMAZED WITH YOUR STRENGTH. YOU ARE SUCH AN AMAZING COUPLE AND I AM SO BLESSED THAT YOU ARE A PART OF OUR NEW CHURCH FAMILY. WE LOVE YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Eden Grace is beautiful. And I love how perfectly it fits her. You guys are so special.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Carrie,
    I wish I could just give you a big hug.
    You are so blessed by the ever steady hands of our loving father. I am rejoicing in Eden right now.
    Love you girl,
    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have so many wonderful memories of living next door to you. TONS of wonderful memories. I love the name Eden Grace! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dear Carrie,

    I'll never forget my new neighbor who came over to introduce herself. We both looked at each other like we could not believe it because we were both about to give birth. A little girl God would give to each of us. I was that young preachers wife that got to see your whole family become part of His family & your mom was one of my best friends. I don't know what I would have done without her. Eden Grace seems to be the perfect name. God started our lives in Eden & wanted it perfect for us and when we would sin He gave us Grace so we could go live with Him forever. I love you Carrie.

    ReplyDelete