Thursday, July 1, 2010

2 Corninthians 2:14

2 Corinthians 2:14 (New International Version)

14But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.

I read this verse in one of my devotionals this week and it really slapped me in the face. Last week was a very rough week for me emotionally because I was tying up some loose ends as far as planning. Some days I just don't want to get out of bed, but I'm always grateful I did. I work with some amazing people and I know I was placed in my job to go through this journey with them. These people really do care. I've been told so many times that I am such a witness and that people can see the Holy Spirit glowing around me. How very humbling....some days I just feel like a little insignificant worm. I'm so thankful for the people that are brave enough to ask me questions and not be afraid of crushing me. I'm also very aware that this sort of situation scares the pants off of most people so they just don't say anything. I get that!! I used to be that way.

I started having contractions on Sunday night. They were approximately 30 minutes apart starting at about midnight and were still going strong on Monday afternoon. I decided I better call my doctor to make sure everything was ok. She hooked me up to a machine that measures contractions. Sure enough, I was having early labor contractions. I was also dilated to 1/2 cm. I'm sure that I've still got some waiting to do but it really made me think I better get into gear. I'm typically very A-type so I am really annoyed when I don't have all my ducks in a row when things pop up. On Tuesday, I decided to get after it. Honestly, I didn't have a clue HOW to start planning for something like this. I've been reading what other people have done in similar situations but have been putting it off because it's just one of those things that a person can't get excited about. I prayed that God would just lead me where I needed to go. A lady that I work with walked into my office and just started telling me about a local funeral home that is known for being family oriented, Christian people. As soon as she left my office, I decided to just get it done. I looked up Stewart Family Funeral Home and called. The lady that answered the phone sounded nice. I was relieved. I managed to convey my reason for calling but I couldn't even tell you what I said to her. She asked me politely if she could put me on hold so she could get the person I needed to talk to. It seemed like FOREVER that I was on hold. I couldn't catch my breath between the tears. A nice man named Robert answered and I shushed up very quickly. I don't really know what I said to him, but he very kindly told me how so very sorry he was but he also knew that God gave this special girl to me for a reason and he would work miracles through her tiny life. He said all the things that I believe and I just couldn't have been more pleased that I spoke to him. I know that God put him on the other end of the phone. He said exactly what I needed to hear. They are taking care of all the costs for us. What a blessing!!! I dreaded going to the funeral home to look at tiny infant caskets. He said not to worry about it. We are going to have our pastor, Luke Kimbley, and his wife, Alisha dedicate Eden Grace at the hospital. We aren't going to have a service for her. We feel like her soul will be in heaven and that's all that matters. We will be cremating her. Robert told me to enjoy this precious time we have with her now and we will worry about the details when we need to. So, no paperwork or thinking about it until it's time. Thank the LORD!!

I was also told about a Christian volunteer organization called "Now I lay me down to sleep". I contacted the local person and she shared her wonderful story with me. Her grandson was born very prematurely and had to stay in NICU for 4 months. As she visited him there, she saw several mother's and father's go through situations similar to ours. Her heart was led to this ministry, as she is a professional photographer by trade. She will be taking photos for no charge. She also offered to do maternity photos at no charge as well. What a precious keepsake, one that you can't really put a price on.

The next day another lady that I work with came to me and asked me if I had a special outfit for Eden. Nope, that was another thing I had prayed would just come to me. I had looked online but didn't really want to purchase something like that. I wasn't quite ready for that. I told her that she was answering my prayer. I know it was hard for her to ask me about this but it was perfect timing. Thank you, again, Lord!!! This lady is in a quilting group with another lady that started an organization that makes these special dresses for little bitty babies. She was going to see her the next day and would bring me some to choose from. I couldn't have come up with a more perfect outfit on my own. The picture below shows the dress, the little hat, receiving blanket and a little keepsake heart. The heart has a spot on the back that you write the name and birth date, etc. We will keep the heart for her collection of memories.


Another lady I work with made a special necklace for Eden with a Pink Rose as the main attraction. Little did I know that every flower has a meaning attached to it. The pink rose means: Grace, Beauty, Gentleness, you are lovely.



One of my dear friends that I used to work with wanted to do something special for Eden. She started asking me little questions a few months ago. Little did I know that she was using her sales tactics to seek information without me really knowing what she was up to. Shanna asked me what colors I would do Eden's nursery and what her name was going to be. I think Shanna was one of the first people to know her name, after our parents. A few weeks later I got a package in the mail that included a sweet and perfect little memory blanket the exact colors that I wanted Eden's nursery to be, with her name monogrammed on it. The squares on the blanket are for family and friends to write something special to Eden. We will also have her little feet and hand prints stamped on it. What a wonderful way to remember all of the love that we will feel on that special day!!


"He said to her, 'Daughter, your faith has healed you. Go in peace and be freed from your suffering,'" (Mark 5:34 NIV).
Jesus called me out from the shadows and placed me center stage. No longer am I a woman in need of a healing touch, but now a believer who has received it and was called on to tell about it. I pray that I can do that more and more every single day!!


5 comments:

  1. Carrie, I weep and pray with you and for you as I read your blog. I think of Mary, Jesus's mother, who pondered things in her heart. I'm sure those memories brought her comfort. I am praying for the same for you, that you will be able to absorb everything so that you can be comforted in the days to come.
    praying for you, Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Carrie, I'm amazed to see God blessing you with people to help you guys through this time. What a sweet, loving and gentle God we serve. To have so many of the details taken care of and so many people reaching out to you is such a testimony of God's provision.

    I love the memory blanket and that you will be able to get Eden's handprints and footprints. What a treasure.

    Thinking about you and Bryan and still praying for you. So glad you are able to see God in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU SHOULD HANG THE HEART ON YOUR CHRISTMAS TREE EVERY YEAR. WE ALWAYS BUY OUR LITTLE ONES NEW ORNAMENTS EVERY YEAR TO MATCH THE ONES THAT NATHAN, JACOB AND BELLE GET. IT REALLY KEEPS THEM ALIVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things you have ready for Eden's arrival are beautiful, Carrie. God-given and beautiful. Know you're in my thoughts all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Carrie. Just wow. My heart is still so broken for you and Bryan but I am so inspired by how you've allowed God to work in your lives...how you've turned TO Him, instead of away from Him like some people might would do. It's so nice to see that there are still nice, caring people in the world that want to help others in times of brokenness. I'm so glad that her memorial costs are being taken care of for you and that you'll get some sweet pictures of your family.

    ReplyDelete