Monday, June 21, 2010

Sense of Urgency

I've been feeling an extreme sense of urgency lately. I've been blessed to not have to deal with a whole lot of death in my life. It's always seemed like such a sad thing because one minute someone is here and living and the next minute they are just gone. I've always felt like I didn't really understand it completely. In the past week, I've lost a couple of people that were significant in my life and my childhood dog died as well. Wow, my gut seems like it can't get punched in any more.
So, this led to a lot of thinking on my part. Instead of feeling sad about people dying, I feel sad that I don't know FOR SURE that they are in Heaven. I wouldn't call it a feeling of guilt, but rather a feeling of "why am I not out there telling people about Jesus EVERY single opportunity I have?" Who cares if they get mad at me now or are offended? How mad will they be if they are in HELL wishing someone would have told them?

I think when you start to really see the reality of death and what you will have in Heaven, death is an exciting thing!! People tell me and Bryan that they don't really know how we are getting through such a situation without being sad all the time. Don't get me wrong, there are moments that I am driving in my car and I just burst into sobbing tears. I'm human......But, when I realized what is really happening here, it brings me great joy. Bryan recently said this and I just love it!!!
"if you get upset, just think about Eden never having to feel pain, never having to go through the stresses of physical life. She never has to watch wars, oil spills, kids being mean on a playground. She has eternal backstage passes to all the best concerts. Court side seats to the basketball games. Literally Skybox seats to every event we could ever imagine. As a bonus, we have someone to greet us at the gates. Just imagine getting to meet Eden and Jesus the same day! These are the things to focus on."
How could that not make you smile??? It is beyond our understanding but it is God's plan, and it is divine.

I'd like to share a verse that has helped me this week......
Philippians 4:10-19
10I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. 11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Paul wrote these words from a prison cell—a place of great physical discomfort. From a human perspective, we would all agree that God should have provided for Paul by relieving his suffering. But instead, the Lord taught him contentment in this difficult situation. Although his physical discomfort remained, a greater need for a changed attitude was met.

A change of heart toward ongoing suffering is a huge challenge. On our own, it's impossible, but the Lord promises to strengthen us through Christ. By living in dependence and submission to Him, we gain His power to overcome our negative, sinful attitudes and learn contentment in all kinds of situations.

Our problem is not that the Lord won't provide for us, but that we so often fail to understand what our deepest needs are. God sees from an unlimited perspective and works for our eternal good, providing for us according to His good purposes from the limitless supply of "His riches in glory."

So, my friends, this is what I've been working on. I have asked God for strength in a time of difficulty and he has given it to me beyond any degree I could have imagined.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, Just wow. You amaze me Carrie.
    I miss your guts out and pray for you all every single day:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Bryan's words gave me chills. I promise to keep praying for the two of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE LOVE YOU AND ARE PRAYING FOR YOU. SEE YOU SATURDAY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love this post so much and love, love what Bryan said. What a wonderful rock he is for you during this time. Wish I could give you a big hug~Lots of Love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that Bryan is thinking back stage passes to the best concerts! I like to think of heaven as a fun place to worship God, hang out and enjoy! That's awesome!!

    Hang in there girl! You are an inspiration to so many of us!! Its great that you are so strong but know its ok to break down too! No one expects you to always have a brave face. We are here to comfort you in the hard times too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie - you are a wonderful inspiration to me. I love you so much and will continue to pray for you and Bryan every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie- I wanted to offer you a glimpse of hope. On August 18, 2009, I delivered my 3rd son Patrick who died at 34 weeks from Potter's Syndrome. I have walked this walk not that long ago and wanted to say that you are doing an amazing job. Please feel free to contact me or read my blog: banksintexas@yahoo.com or banksintexas.blogspot.com

    You're in my prayers,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are right on the money here. I loved when you wrote

    "Paul wrote these words from a prison cell—a place of great physical discomfort. From a human perspective, we would all agree that God should have provided for Paul by relieving his suffering."

    Once again, I am pulling from my experience with having Nathaniel. I have been uncomfortable many times. It is not comfortable having Nathaniel bang their head on the wall to fall asleep with no words to communicate why. (I look forward to him telling me about this one day!) Or having people give you looks because he wants to look at all the fans in a store. All of these experiences I initially looked at as bad but they have been a catalyst for change in me. I am realizing that being content in different situations is better than going through perfect situations. No one can take away the lessons I have learned and once again I am adding another tool to my tool belt of life.

    I am praying for you and Bryan. It is such an encouragement to read your blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete